Thursday, January 25, 2007



So I went to Burns Park at lunch, the sun was out and the song "I was raised on country sunshine" was playing. If it wasn't for that, I would have been highly disappointed. Let me tell you...change is not always good. Where is the old rocket slide...the one we all grew up on? Someone snuck a new contraption in over there. Everyone and there mother fell off the old one and they wait till its an Arkansas Institution to change it out, whats with that? They hauled out the airplane for safety reasons and put a railroad car and a tank in there. Excuse me, how are those safer than the plane. I am sure this is nice...all fine and dandy, but I want to know what happened to the old one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pris you are right. I fell off there when I was a kid. Wonder when they moved it? I havent been over there in 10 years at least.

Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember an article in the Dem-Gaz from last year that said why it was removed. Something like it was falling apart, but it would cost more to fix up than to replace. The city knew what a landmark the rocket slide was, so they bought the new version from the same people that made the old one. Sad to see it go, though. I remember getting a nasty cut sliding down part of it as a kid.

Pris Weathers said...

Remember how it didn't have any guard rails, so coming out of the curve, if you looked over the side, off you went. I think everyone in my family landed on their head....maybe that's what happened. :)